Magic does that. It wastes you away. Once it grips you by the ear, the real world gets quieter and quieter, until you can hardly hear it at all.deathless ; catherynne m. valente
…and i have come for the girl in the window.
And it doesn’t matter that she didn’t ask to be beautiful, or to be born in a lake, or to live forever, or to not know how men breathe until they stop doing it. Well, I do not want to be beautiful, or a woman, or anything. I want to know how men breathe.
Slowly, without taking his eyes from hers, the man in the black coat knelt before her. ”I have come for the girl in the window,” he said, and his eyes filled with tears - Deathless, Catherynne M. Valente
A Black Stone Falling A Deathless Mix
Papa Koschei is Coming | Shattering Sea Tori AmosEvery line, every curve, every twist, every turn of every brutal word.
That is not my blood on the bedroom floor.
For You Alone I Will Be Weak | I See Who You Are BjörkI see who you are and when you’ll get older later
I will see the same girl, the same soul: lioness, fireheart, passionate lover.
Let’s celebrate now all this flesh on our bones,
let me push you up against me tightly and enjoy every bit of you.
The Tsarita of Life | Bone House The Dead WeatherI make a nest for your hair, I lay you down, I lay you there.
I build a ship, I sink or sail, every tooth and every nail.
I put your heart in a vault, that’s how I get the things I want.
Did He Love You? Did You Leave Him? | Augustine Patrick WolfDoes it mean that I can never change my ways?
And that’s why, love, you shouldn’t stay.
Still you will, and love me like a mother or a maid.
Bringing you down, down, down on your brazen knees,
watering the worms and the weeds thinking:
Why does love leave me so damn cold?
Now I’m getting old, and is this what it should be?
The War Is Always Going Badly | Apres Moi Regina SpektorBe afraid of the cold, they’ll inherit your blood.
Apres moi le deluge, after me comes the flood.
I must go on standing, you can’t break that which isn’t yours.
I must go on standing, I’m not my own, it’s not my choice.
A Man In Her Tent | Raphael CocoRosieDeep inside my heart, and it’s splintered at its core,
molden curdle of milken puddle—dreams of warm breasts
settling in my mouth, to be my spouse make a bale and a house.
Raphael you know just how to take me in the swimming pool
like a child being baptized, beneath the starry sky we lie.
The Village of Yaichka | Linger With Pleasure Ane BrunMaybe this is wishful thinking and maybe I’ll just keep on sinking,
but sometimes it’s enough to know that there is a place where everything is on hold,
where the hours will be longer and I’ll linger with pleasure.
Viy’s Country | We Were Sparkling My Brightest DiamondThere was a silver tree down by a river wide, that’s where we would go
to hang our pretty things and watch the wind blow.
I am afraid to forget you. I am remembering you. You were sparkling.
A farmer wants his son to be afraid of beautiful women, so that he will not leave home too soon, so he tells a story about how one drowned his brother’s cousin’s friend in a lake, not because he was a pig who deserved to be drowned, but because beautiful women are bad, and also witches. And it doesn’t matter that she didn’t ask to be beautiful, or to be born in a lake, or to live forever, or to not know how men breathe until they stop doing it.
“There, in her mortar, sweeping beneath the skies, the demon Baba Yaga flies. There Tsar Koschei, he wastes away, poring over his pale gold.”
I Will Be Cruel to You (a deathless fanmix)
“The Devil” - Anna Calvi
wait for love / fall for me / and wait for devil now
“The Beast” - Austra
the morning I saw your face again / I was made into a beast
“Wolves” - Broken Records
your lips /my lips / your bones / my bones / your heart / my heart / are all I know
“Demons” - Chelsea Wolfe
said my love is an empire / said get out of the way
“Bachelorette” - Björk
I’m a fountain of blood / in the shape of a girl / you’re a bird on the brim / hypnotized by the whirl
“Dance Me to the End of Love” - The Civil Wars
we’re both of us beneath our love / both of us above
“She Will Destroy You” - Cocteau Twins
“Requiem Waltz” - Emily Jane White
the sweetest mark upon your list / is your own seductive oh death wish
“Black Hair” - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
to kiss her milk-white throat / a dark curtain of black hair / smothered me / my lover with her beautiful black hair
“The Eternal” - Joy Division
procession moves on / the shouting is over / praise to the glory of loved ones now gone
“Death Is the Road to Awe” - Clint Mansell
E V E R Y I N C H O F M Y T A R B L A C K S O U L | a deathless fanmix for my darling wife ivannikolayevich
- AVE MARIA | regina spektor; the muscles of the intellectuals are atrophying / nobody’s running, nobody’s hiding / they’re lit by a light that isn’t even the sun / lit by a light that isn’t even the moon / ave maria, ave maria / now how many times have i told you not to go there? / how many times have i begged you not to ? / and how many times have you snuck down to that cellar?
- TWO HUNGRY BLACKBIRDS | samuel beam; if i could be over you when the sky starts falling would you be smothered under me? / if i could be under you if the earth was burning would you be crying over me? / poetry tempered with tragedy / tempted and pulled when you cry upon my sleeve / two flocks of blackbirds meet in the air
- THE BEAST | laura marling; i’m pulled by the pull on my throat, i’m pulled by the rope / i swing from the trees into the slope / hold my head high, just by the tip of my toes / and he lies, he lies so sweet that I choke / tonight i choose the beast, tonight he lies with me
- OFF TO THE RACES | lana del rey; my old man is, a tough man / but he got a soul as sweet as blood red jam and he shows me, he knows me / every inch of my tar black soul …likes to watch me in the glass room, bathroom, chateau marmot / slipping on my red dress, putting on my make up / glass film, perfume, cognac, lilac fumes, says it feels like heaven to him
- BENEATH YOUR TREE | bowerbirds; i can drag my legs across the desert but my lips will still thirst for you, dear / yet i feel your pains like a furnace / though it burns, i go on / i keep on crawling
- TAKE TO THE SKY | tori amos; this house is like russia, with eyes cold and grey / you got me moving in a circle / i dyed my hair red today / i just want a little passion to hold me in the dark / i know i’ve got some magic buried deep in my heart, but my priest says ‘you ain’t saving no souls’, / …and here i stand with this sword in my hand
- TIGER MOUNTAIN PEASANT SONG | fleet foxes; dear shadow, alive and well, how can the body die? / you tell me everything, anything true / in the town one morning i went / staggering through premonitions of my death / i don’t see anybody that dear to me / …i don’t know what i have done / i’m turning myself into a demon
- TO THE LIGHTHOUSE | patrick wolf; now the bombs drop around our feet / do we throw them back or bow and greet them? / everyone now is so terrified of the glowing dark and those orange skies / “build your castle, stop throwing stones ‘cause those firebirds are coming down on our homes.”
- IN ANOTHER LIFE | vienna teng; in another life i was married at thirteen / you were killed at twenty-one on a minor battlefield / i was buried beside my second stillborn child / my last thought it seemed was a fever dream… / and we feel it like the shiver of a passing train / that other life deep underground / you and i, side by side / we are the next time ‘round
- A HEART ARCANE | horse feathers; it was a year so wild not a month was tame / it’s where your friends all foul your name / while you would drag your feet, you’re inclined to do the same / can you believe what they done? / gave you half of what’s left, which was none / your starving for sure, your searching for words, the last thing you heard: / you’re turning a page, they’re telling you now / you’re dying of young age.
- STREET SPIRIT (FADE OUT) | radiohead; cracked eggs, dead birds scream as they fight for life / i can feel death, can see its beady eyes / all these things into fruition / all these things we’ll one day swallow whole / and fade out again and fade out again
| favorite quotes |She knew herself, how she had slowly, over years, become a cat, a wolf, a snake, anything but a girl. How she had wrung out her girlhood like a death. And now Ivan sat there, studiously not eating his bread smeared thickly with butter, waiting for her attention, her regard, but she could forget him in a moment if Koschei pulled her towards him like a little moon, and she knew it, and she felt herself splitting and tearing between them, her human heart, her demon heart.
from Deathless | Catherynne M. Valente
| favorite quotes |I will tell you why. Because you are a demon, like me. And you do not care very much if other girls have suffered, because you want only what you want. You will kill dogs, and hound old women in the forest, and betray any soul if it means having what you desire, and that makes you wicked, and that makes you a sinner, and that makes you my wife.
from Deathless | Catherynne M. Valente